Attorney Profiles: Gary Allan Cooper
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Phone: (423) 756-3596
Fax: (423) 756-3597
Gary Allan Cooper began his legal career in 1972 as an associate for Luther, Anderson & Ruth in Chattanooga. He became a partner in that firm and practiced with it and its successors until 1981. He then became a partner in Fleissner & Cooper in Chattanooga and practiced with that firm and its successors until 1998 when he, David Franklin, and Rick Marcus formed Franklin, Cooper & Marcus, PLLC in which he has continued to be a member.
Gary was awarded the Herman Hickman Postgraduate Scholarship for Athletes by the University of Tennessee Athletic Department upon entry into law school. While in law school, he was a member of Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity and held offices as the Clerk and Magister of that fraternity at UT.
Gary is admitted to practice before the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, United States Supreme Court, and he has been licensed to practice law in all Florida State Courts since 1981. He is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, The Florida Bar, and Chattanooga Bar Association for which he served a term as a member of its board of directors and chairman of the continuing legal education committee.
1n 1977, he authored Tennessee Form for Trial Practice, a form book geared to the Tennessee Rules of Civil Procedure which was published until 2001. In the same year, he wrote Tennessee Law Office Administration. He also wrote Tennessee Forms for Trial-Damages which continues in publication presently as a West product.
Gary has been listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in American Law, and Who's Who in Emerging Leaders.
He is married to Sally, and they reside in Hixson, TN.
Areas of Practice:
• Civil Litigation
• Products Liability
• Medical Negligence
• Insurance Defense
• 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
• Tennessee, 1972
• Florida, 1981
• U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1972
• U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1987
• U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
• University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee J.D. - 1972
Honors: Herman Hickman Postgraduate Scholarship
Honors: Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
• University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee B.S. - 1969
• Tennessee Forms for Trial Practice, Harrison Company, 1999
• Tennessee Forms for Trial Practice-Damages, West, 2008
• Henderson vs. Quest Expeditions, 174 SW3d 730 (TN. Ct. App 2005)
• Broadwell by Broadwell v. Holmes, 871 SW2d 471 (TN. Sup. Ct 1994)
• Catholic Health Initiatives
• Harford Mutual Insurance Companies
• Union Standard Insurance Group
Honors and Awards
• Who's Who in America, 1982 - Present
• Who's Who in American Law, 1985 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Chattanooga Bar Association, Member, 1972 - Present
• Chattanooga Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1984 - 1987
• Tennessee Bar Association, Member, 1972 - Present
• Defense Research Institute, Member, 1976 - Present
• Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Member, 1977 - Present
• American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member, 1973 - Present
Past Employment Positions
• Luther, Anderson & Ruth, Chattanooga, Associate, 1972 - 1976
• Luther, Anderson, Cleary & Ruth, Partner, 1976 - 1981
• Fleissner & Cooper, Partner, 1981 - 1982
• Fleissner, Cooper & Marcus, Partner, 1982 - 1998
• Phi Delta Phi
• February 3, 1947, Bristol, Virginia, U.S.A.
Our offices are open from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.